To facilitate the programme of the 7 Kaleidoscope steps, the room or space must be carefully equipped and set up with the correct ambiance of light and pigment colour, sound, natural aroma and warmth specific to certain light temperatures and its impact on the brain the programme.
Once the suitable Kaleidoscope Environment is in place, the 7 Steps each provide a menu of activities for the day ahead.
The 7-Steps are:
- Relaxation (Mindfulness)
- Visualisation (Mental rehearsal)
- Expression (Through colour)
- Move (Laughter and release)
- Build (Activities and games to promote good self-esteem )
- Explore (A tactile step, awakening the senses, using materials from nature)
- Affirm (Something tangible to take away as a link to the Kaleidoscope session)
Depending on the time allowed for the session, the number in the group, (from 1 to 15) their age and their needs, not all steps are accessed in each session although they do follow in particular order; to firstly bring down cortisol levels in the brain and always ending on a positive note with a tangible affirmation for children and young people to take away with them.
There are specific benefits using each of the 7 Kaleidoscope steps. Each one utilises the fantastic, universally accessible tool of colour. Colour is a very powerful metaphor which can be accessed in the right side of tl1e brain when words to describe our own inner feelings are just too hard to pinpoint.